Fritz Hüttinger (1897–1963) was born in June 1897 in Appetshofen near Nördlingen, Germany. He completed an apprenticeship as an electrician and in 1919, after his service in WWI, he began his studies in the field of electro technology at the University of Engineering in Konstanz, Germany. In 1921, the young engineer arrived in Freiburg im Breisgau, where he founded a company for electrical appliances in 1922. In 1925, he expanded operations to include a factory for electronic medical devices in which the first diathermic and surgical devices were mass produced in 1926. A new building for the company’s 30 employees followed in 1933.
In 1936, production began in the company’s own glass blowing of the “Hüttinger High-Vacuum Amplifier Valve” for electro-medical devices. Up until the beginning of the war in 1939, about 90 percent of production was exported.
In November 1944, all of the company’s buildings were bombed in an air raid. Fritz Hüttinger began rebuilding the company in 1946 together with several employees. As early as 1949-50, he began producing new electro-medical devices, in particular high frequency generators for inductive and capacitative heating for industrial uses. He also advanced the development of medium-frequency generators. Yet in 1963, Fritz Hüttinger died at the age of 65. His widow took on the challenge of running the company. Since 1993, 75 percent of the shares in the present Trumpf Hüttinger GmbH + Co. KG have been owned by Trumpf and 25 percent by the Ruf/Hüttinger family.